Re: ZIP on PCMCIA card from Panasonic CDROM

At 17:04 96/01/09 GMT+100, you wrote:
>>From the TP750 list, I understand you have succeeded in using a SCSI
>Zip drive on the PCMCIA card from the Panasonic CDROM.
>
>I have been wanting to do this also, but cannot find the correct SCSI
>cable.
>
>How did you solve this ans where did you get the cable.
>
>Thanks in advance
>
>Anders Nattestad

Anders

Sorry to reply you so late. I found this mail when I was doing house
keeping, sort of deleting old mails.

This is the answer.
It is almost impossible to make it half year ago. I'd been looking for the
correct cable or adapter but there was none. Cable vendors simply do not
make that kind of cable or adapter. And the various SCSI connectors make
life more difficult. I am not so sure about the part name description.
Please correct me if wrong.

The basic device:
A.The Panasonic PC-CARD has a 50pin condense SCSI male connector.
B.KXL-D720 CD-ROM drive has one 50pin condense SCSI female connector.
C.Zip drive has two DB25 female connectors.

I have bought the following three device to make the connection:
D.one 50 pin condense female to 50pin SCSI-1 male adapter
E.one 50pin SCSI-1 female to DB25 male adapter
F.one SCSI cable, one end is DB25 male connector and the other end is
  a 50pin condense male connector.

Then the cable from the PC-CARD cable connect to adapter D-E then to
Zip drive. From another port on Zip drive use cable F to connect it
with the CD-ROM. The connect sequence is A-D-E-C-F-B.

Termination on ZIP drive is OFF, id can be either 5 or 6 as long as it doesn't
conflict with the CD-ROM. Termination for the CD-ROM is ON. (click the DIP
switch 4 at the bottom of the CD-ROM to ON position) Turn on both drive
before goes into WIN95.  That's it.

All the cable and adapters are Taiwan made products. No part
number is available.
I could find them in electronic parts stores both in Hong Kong and
Singapore now.
The cable is the most expensive at around US$30. Both adapters
between $15 to $20.

Eric