Thinkpad not charging...

To all you who have problems with the AC power supply on the 755xx series, I am
reposting my previous message.  Hope this helps.

...patrick

My client has several IBM Thinkpad 755XX models and the AC adapter has been
problematic on a few.  The answer to your question is however that your Thinkpad
more than likely is working just fine.  The problem is with the tip of the AC
plug that attaches to your Thinkpad.

It is a removeable plug that IBM normally replaces.  If you can't afford the
time to drop into an IBM service depot, just use a pointy device and wedge the
end off.  The contacts on the side of the plug need to be crimped outward a bit
and then just reattach the plug back into the socket.

I experienced this problem first hand and watched them repair it.  Like I said,
they normally replace the part but if you can't afford the time, it's something
than can be easily accomplished in 2 minutes.

By the way, if anyone has a loose display panel on their 755XX model, don't wait
to get it tightened.  While it is possible to tighten the display panel
yourself, it can be troublesome to get the cover off.  It's best left up to the
IBM techies who can do it within 10 minutes.  No need to drop off your machine,
as they can repair it on site.  The reason for tightening the display?  The
technician said, if it gets any looser, it could damage the hinge mechanism.  I
watched them tighten my 755CX on-site and noticed the 4 screws which required
tightening.  Consider yourself warned! :)

Hope this is helpful... patrick

           Patrick Hong Systems Management & Consulting Inc.
           phong@synapse.net              (613) 769-1544 Tel
           phong@connectinc.com           (613) 728-4063 Fax