IBM's ThinkPad 760CD Notebook Sparks Techno-Lust

I thought this might be of interest to you all!

Alex

[Image]
copyright 1996, Canada Computer Paper Inc.

Extremely High Drool Factor

IBM's ThinkPad 760CD Notebook Sparks Techno-Lust

By Jeff Evans

    IBM recently announced its latest ultimate dream notebook computer - a
    120-MHz Pentium-based notebook that incorporates the industry's
largest, 12.4-inch active matrix screen, 24-bit (16.7-million) color
palette, MPEG-2 high-resolution 30 frame per second full-screen digital
video, digital-signal processor audio, quad-speed CD-ROM, tiltable
ergonomic keyboard, NTSC and PAL video input, optional video digitizing,
overlay and output, 1-gigabyte hard drive, up to 40 MB RAM, and a 28.8-kbps
internal fax modem.

The system weighs about three kilograms (seven pounds). A slimline, lighter
version, without provision for the CD-ROM drive, is also available.

The ThinkPad 760CD is now IBM's top-of-the-line multimedia notebook.
According to company representative Kevin McKee, "The initial shipments are
spoken for, but production is running at a high level, and we expect to
have an ample supply."

IBM's premium ThinkPads, while too expensive for the average computer user,
enjoy a "robust market" among corporate computing power users.
Communications professionals and sales and management personnel who need to
make business presentations on the road will find the ThinkPad 760CD's
multimedia muscle highly useful.

Out Of The Box

We had the use of a 760CD for several days at the TCP Test Labs, and here's
what we found:

When you open up the lid, the first thing you notice is that the keyboard
shifts position (though it's not like the "butterfly" keyboard of the IBM
710 subnotebook, previously reviewed in The Computer Paper - the 760CD is a
full-sized notebook). This keyboard simply tilts upwards at the rear to
give the user a more comfortable angle for typing. There is a good-sized
palm rest area at the front of the keyboard, and the cursor is controlled
via a TrackPoint II pointing device.

Two small stereo speakers are located to the left and right front of the
keyboard. There are also outputs for attaching speaker cables.

One very nice user feature is a small LED screen at the left top of the
keyboard, which shows battery status, disc activity, and other information.

The screen seems enormous. It almost fills the entire inside lid of the
notebook -more than 12 inches on the diagonal, almost all of it truly
usable, so the result is very close to a 14-inch monitor. (The viewing
angle of most 14-inch CRT-based monitors is actually closer to 12 inches.)

The active matrix screen is one of the brightest and crispest we've ever
seen, and makes it a pleasure to work with. This comes at a price, though:
with the screen turned up to full brightness, and with constant disc
access, battery life is only a few hours.

However, with a variety of power-conserving measures (such as turning down
the screen and reducing hard-drive access), battery life can be greatly
lengthened. As well, the ThinkPads have one of the best power-management
routines in the industry.

We left the unit on overnight, and after a few minutes it went into a
suspend mode. When we went to use it the next morning, the screen popped
back to life, with all the correct files displayed, and the battery charge
had only dropped a few percent. This feature, by itself, sets IBM's
notebooks apart from most of the competition.

The internal 28.8-kbps modem leaves both PC card slots open for other
devices, and there is a plethora of telecommunication soft

ware included.

The Windows version includes FaxWorks, TranXit infrared file transfer,
CompuServe and America Online signup kits, IBM Online Housecall, and Lotus
Mail Mobile. Networking is also supported, with a copy of IBM's NetFinity.

Modular to the Max

Our test unit came with an internal CD drive, which we decided to replace
with a floppy drive to transfer some files. The switch involved lifting up
the keyboard, pulling out the CD drive from its connector, and popping in
the floppy drive. This took about three minutes, two and one-half of which
were consumed by me insisting on powering the system down and then powering
it back up.

Movies to Go

The most spectacular capability of the 760CD is the hardware support for
MPEG (Motion Picture Experts Group) video. The unit we tested came with
only 8 MB of RAM, which was enough to run Microsoft Office and Windows 3.1
or OS/2 Warp fairly comfortably. If you wish to run Windows 95 and
multitask easily with some demanding applications like Corel Draw 6,
however, you'd be well advised to invest in at least an extra 8 MB of RAM.

Like other ThinkPad models, the 760CD is well engineered and easy to use.
It comes with both Windows 3.1 and OS/2 Warp preloaded. A Windows 95 option
is expected to be added shortly.

Lest this review be entirely favorable, we did look hard for something to
criticize. Hmm. Well, it was a bit of a nuisance to have to swap the CD
drive and the floppy - it would be best to have an external floppy with
this system, to ease routine file transfer.

Even if inelegant, this would be very handy, and I'd prefer it to taking
the machine apart constantly. As well, you may want to buy a spare battery
to extend the lifespan of the 760CD when a power outlet is not readily
available. Aside from that, we couldn't find much wrong.

This is the notebook to beat in the first quarter of 1996.

And the Envelope, Please - Yipes!

Depending on configuration, the ThinkPad 760CD costs between $7,799 and
$10,999. All models come with a three-year warranty.

Contact: IBM Direct, 1-800-465-7999.

[back button]  Back to Table of Contents...

[backbutton]  Return to TCP Home Page
TCP Online February 1996 Issue