Re: portable cd-rom drives

> At 8:15 PM 2/11/96, James Bush wrote:
> >try the axonix . . . . comes in either the 4x or 6x. for power it plugs into
> >the mouse socket of the tp. nice machine, weigths 19.7 ozs.
> >
> >jamie
>
>         Mouse socket, eh?  Pretty interesting--does it come in a SCSI
> version too?  I have a 701 and plugging into the mouse socket would mean
> dragging along a port replicator.
>
>         Where would one get it and for about how much?  What sort of power
> source does it use?  How long does it last on that battery power?
>
> -----                                            ______________________
> Randy Whittle    whittle@usc.edu               |       WWW Home Page:     |
> USC Graduate School of Business             |           http://
|
>  "Did you really think you could call up the | www-scf.usc.edu/~whittle/ |
>      Devil and ask him to behave?"          ---------------------------------
->

I've been thinking about buying one of these portable units, the
Axonix Promedia 6XR.  Its specs are pretty good: 6 speed,
256K buffer, 160ms access time.  From my limited understanding of it,
it doesn't have any batteries and solely draws power from your laptop.
It has a PC card interface, and I think it has a parallel-port option also.
I've seen it advertised in the PC Zone catalog for around $529.
The quad-speed unit sells for about $100 less.

Marvin