Glidepoint with 755CD suspend...bad driver?

I was still having problems with the Glidepoint (and trackpoint III)
pointing devices locking up after a restart from suspend. This is after
changing the power.exe to a newer version. I also saw on News that someone
using a Logitech with the Logitech driver was having the same problem in the
same way (after resume from suspend, the pointer freezes once it centers on
the screen).

I have (tentatively) concluded that the fault is with the Glidepoint (and
Logitech) driver software. I assume that those drivers are not fully APM
aware and therefore have spurious faults due to interrupt states or recovery
of registers or whatever when restarting from suspend.

I completely removed the Glidepoint driver and went back to the PS/2 mouse
driver. I had to modify mouse.ini to have only two lines:

[mouse]
MouseType=PS2

(Glidepoint put a bunch of stuff in that made the mouse jerky). The
glidepoint now works fine as a basic PS/2 mouse replacement.

That seems to have cleared up the lockup problem (so far). I of course lost
any chance of using tap click mouse operations on the Glidepoint.

Hopefully, Glidepoint will fix their driver to work properly with the
ThinkPad APM. It would also be nice if it knew enough to disable the
Trackpoint interference when it was detected and thus allow tap click mouse
operations. I will try to call Alps some time about this. I couldn't get
into conferences on the Alps BBS, so I don't know if this has been discussed
there.

Thanks
Michael Redmond
Director, Computer-Aided Engineering Center
University of Wisconsin, Madison
(608) 263-1584
Email: redmond@engr.wisc.edu
WWW: http://www.engr.wisc.edu/services/cae/staff/redmond.html