Fooling Win95...

Hello Again...

I have Win95 running very well on my 750Cs.  now it's time to make it do
neat tricks (or at least try :)  I have it connected via a PCMCIA Ethernet
card to my lab's NT 3.51 network.  I can share printers and connect network
drives.  I have a gateway service running on one NT server and therefore get
full Net access.  I can also map a remote CDROM to a specific drive letter
and use it from my 'Pad.
There are two things that I would like to do, and haven't been able to do
them yet.  The first one is to start a backup of my local drive on a remote
tape w/o going to the remote machine (I can do it from there).  I'm guessing
that I just need some software, but haven't found anything to support our
Exabyte DAT drive (from Win95)

The second thing, and perhaps more difficult, is that I would like to fool
Win95 into thinking that it has a local CDROM drive and map it to the
network drive.  Occasionally, if I try to run some software from the CDROM,
it starts but at some point it will stop saying that it can't detect the CD
Drive.  I think that I have traced this to the registry (there is no way to
select a drive there under the CD subheadings)  but can't figure out a way
around it... anyone has any pointers on this matter?  I don't really want to
buy a CDROM drive if I don't have to...

Thanks in advance!

Art

Arturo J. Morales                 | MIT, Department of Biology, 68-252
art@aars.mit.edu                  | Cambridge, MA 02139