Re: Help with IBM Thinkpad 701C battery problem!

I've forwarded this to the TP750 mailing list since it includes some
good TP701 info and questions.

On Wed, 3 Jan 1996, JACK SHU wrote:

> I got the leather portfolio for $35 + shipping which came out to $40 from
> pcs complete. their part # TP70200 and their phone # is 800-669-4727

Thanks for the info.  The part # matches the $55 case from IBM.

> Just curious, have you experienced any sudden/random freeze ups?

I've had lockups while messing with video under DOS, and DOS emulation
under Linux (it gets unhappy about there not being a floppy drive).
I think I've had one other unexplained lockup under DOS, but I consider
this normal for the amount of use I've gotten in the last month.

> also does it give you a low battery warning 10 seconds before the battery
> dies? this happens on all 3 of my batteries (I bought 2 extra batteries).

I've only run the battery down 4 times.  Twice I plugged into AC within
a minute (definitely longer than 10 seconds).  The other two times it
went into suspend a minute or two after the alarm.  Hibernation is disabled
on my 701.  I assume you have the NiMH like I do?

> it jumps from about 12 to 14% down to 0% almost immediately and won't
> let me suspend or hibernate (it says battery power is too low to go
> into suspend).

I haven't been using that meter much.  I'll do a rundown tonight and
watch what happens.  I *have* seen it at 10%, 8%, and 5% so I don't
think I have your problem.
John H. Kim         The most exciting phrase to hear in science, the one
jokim@mit.edu       that heralds new discoveries, is not "Eureka!" (I have
jokim@tuna.mit.edu  found it!) but "That's funny ..." -- Isaac Asimov