damn thinkpads

I was playing with win95 on my tp720c the other day when everything
collapsed. Every running application protection faulted. Clicking the
details button revealed that the fault occurred in WSPDSF.DRV, which is the
old 640x480x256 driver for windows 3.1 that I have to use to get 256 color
graphics. After a reboot, the machine now goes into a constant loop of
 faults right after the pointer is displayed.

I reinstalled the video drivers from a backup disk and the problem
persists. I downloaded the archive again from IBM's website to no avail.
I'm stuck with boring (albeit speedy) 16 color graphics with Microsoft's
VGA driver.

IBM's position on this particular model of thinkpad is something like
denial of its existence. They mention the fact that the 95 support for the
720c is lousy on their website, but don't plan on doing anything about it.
Phone calls and visits to service centers lead to sales pitches.

Anyone have similar problems? Solutions? Commiserations?

Dave
--
David W. Young
Internet Systems Consultant