3rd party display adapter

I'm glowing with pride...

I accomplished what IBM indicated was "impossible with the ThinkPad
architecture".  I successfully installed and configured an ISA, 3rd party
graphics adapter in my Dock II.  I now have 1280x1024x8bpp, 1024x768x16bpp,
800x600x24bpp and 640x480x32bpp with my 755CDV (& external monitor)
operational in Win 95.

This was needed because I give presentations in 16-bit color, however, I
needed a large desktop to create the presentations with the desired color
depth so I didn't have to undock or reboot windows to see what they would
look like at the 16bpp level.

I tried several display adapters (the hard part was finding high-performance
ISA display cards).

The following cards worked:

* Hercules Dynamite Pro 2MB - 87Hz *interlaced* at 1024x768x16bpp, however
(Back it went) ;-\

* STB Nitro 64 2MB - Use the drivers that ship with Win95, not the Win95
drivers that come with the card - compatibility issues.  At $189 it's a
keeper!  I get faster performance from the Nitro through an ISA bus than I
do with the internal VLB WD driver on the flat-panel!

The following didn't work at all:

Any display card made by ATI.  I tried 3 different ones and nearly every
case the system wouldn't even boot!

I don't want to bore everyone on the list with any more info, however, if
you are interested, e-mail me and I'll tell you how I did it and give some
tips on how to make the installation go smoothly in Win95.

Regards,
-Ted