Re: how to get disk caddies apart?

On Thu, 14 Dec 1995, Paul Rubin wrote:

> I'm having various problems trying to install Yggdrasil Plug & Play
> Linux from CD-ROM and am thinking the easiest thing might be to just
> mount my Thinkpad HD into a desktop machine using a 2.5" IDE adapter
> and install that way.  But I need to get the drive out of the Thinkpad
> caddy to do that.  It looks kind of difficult to get the caddy open

Don Whiteside has a nice writeup on how to do this.  Here's a quick
summary.  Make sure you have a jeweler's screwdriver.  Lift the corners
of the ///////// label and remove the screws underneath.  Make sure you
catch the nuts on the bottom.  Then use the screwdriver to pry apart
the left side of the case (oriented as it sits in the Thinkpad).  The
middle latches seem to be the easiest to pry apart.  This can be tricky,
especially the first time.  Make sure you don't accidently jab the
screwdriver into the case and scratch the drive electronics.  After the
left side is open, you can do the same for the right side (easier once
the left side is free).

BUT, :)  I wouldn't recommend it if you have a 540 MB or larger drive.
The Thinkpads seem to do all sorts of BIOS tricks to get the EIDE
drives to work, and there's no guarantee a system installed from your
dekstop will be bootable or usable.
John H. Kim         The most exciting phrase to hear in science, the one
jokim@mit.edu       that heralds new discoveries, is not "Eureka!" (I have
jokim@tuna.mit.edu  found it!) but "That's funny ..." -- Isaac Asimov