Re: native Win95 CD-ROM access on 755CD

->      Win95 is accessing the CD-ROM drive on my 755CD in "compatibility
->      mode".  I would like to eliminate the IBM driver and MSCDEX, but none
->      of my attempts have worked.  Has anyone figured-out how to do this
->      after Win95 has been installed?
->
->      Assistance or pointers will be greatly appreciated!

The text file within ftp://ftp.pcco.ibm.com/pub/mobiles/tpwin95.exe explains
how to do this, but it sounds like you may have already tried this
unsuccessfully.  I know it worked for me...  Here's the excerpt:

5.1.5. CD-ROM Device driver (ThinkPad 755CD or other CD-ROM model only)

   Windows 95 comes with a generic ATAPI CD-ROM driver and it works
  with the ThinkPad integrated CD-ROM.  However, DOS/Windows version
  of IBM CD-ROM driver is not removed, if you upgrade to Windows 95 beta
  from DOS/Windows with IBM CD-ROM driver loaded.  The CD-ROM is still
  visible in this case but you lose speed and some functionality which
  Windows 95 generic ATAPI driver provides.  The generic Windows 95
  CD-ROM driver is automatically installed if you don't migrated from
  DOS/Windows or you migrated from DOS/Windows but without IBM CD-ROM
  driver.  To make sure that you are using Windows 95 generic ATAPI
  CD-ROM driver, do the following steps.

  1. Go to MS-DOS command prompt
  2. Edit CONFIG.SYS
  3. Look for IBMTPCD.SYS in CONFIG.SYS
     <example>
     DEVICE=C:\xxxxxx\IBMTPCD.SYS /D:TPCD001 /P:170 /R
     (Note xxxxxx is the name of subdirectory where you installed the
      CD-ROM driver)

     If you find it, add "REM" before this statement to comment it out;
     save CONFIG.SYS.
     If you cannot find it or it's already REM'd out, quit and go to
     the next step.
  4. Edit AUTOEXEC.BAT
  5. Look for MSCDEX.EXE in AUTOEXEC.BAT
     <example>
     C:\xxxxxx\MSCDEX.EXE /D:TPCD001 /M:15
     (Note xxxxxx is the name of subdirectory where you installed the
      CD-ROM driver)

     If you find it, add "REM" before this statement to comment it out;
     save AUTOEXEC.BAT.
     If you cannot find it or it's already REM'd out, quit and go to
     the next step.
  6. Exit DOS command prompt; Reboot the system.

Make sure you're running a BIOS with Plug&Play support:  1.30 or 1.40.  It
probably helps to have the CD-ROM actually in the machine for the reboot,
although strictly-speaking this shouldn't be necessary if PnP works right.

..Don Markuson
  dmarkuson@peritus.com