Report: Linux install on 701C

   Another reason I went with Red Hat is that their install scripts
   support upgrading - no more wondering what files are safe to delete
   if you install a new kernel or other software.  I haven't had much
   chance to play with it yet, but it'll be worth it if this feature
   really works.  Check out http://www.redhat.com if you're interested.

Just FYI:

The Debian distribution has this feature, and it definitely does work.
I've been using it to upgrade packages as interesting new ones come
out.  Debian has the advantage of being free, but it does not support
PCMCIA at installation, and it uses a text-mode interface rather than
an X interface.

One of these days there will be a distribution that does everything
and costs nothing.