Modem Won't Dial Phone Card Number

Hi--

The modem that came with my 701 C--supposedly a fine road warrior machine!--
can't dial using a phone card such as sprint.

I'm using a REXX script under OS2 with
dialcmd = 'atdt5551212'
and this works--but if expanded to
dialcmd = 'atdt18008778000,,xxxxxxxxxx,,xxxxxxxxxxxxxx'
it won't even begin dialing; the first set of x's here is 0 plus
area code plus number, the second set is my sprint card number.

If I break this up into two sets, it dials only the second set.

Has anyone solved this problem?

Same result in dialing using Windows and Trumpet, where the number
is in the trumpsck.ini file.

Thanks--

Annelise