Re: WTB: ThinkPad 755ce or cx

Greetings,

        Actually, I can put the nail in the coffin.  You can *not* hot-swap
the boot drive on the Thinkpad.  If you try, there is a good chance that
either the drive or the thinkpad will require service.

        Regards,
        -=Chris

At 08:53 95/11/27 -0800, Randy Whittle wrote:
>At 9:58 AM 11/27/95, Michael Klenner wrote:
>
>>Are ThinkPad hard drives hot-swappable?  I am considering getting a second
>>internal drive as opposed to an external drive or removable media drive, but
>>if I were to pick up an 810 or so, would I need to install an operating
>>system and all, or could I boot from my primary drive and hot-swap in the
>>second?  My feeling is, probably not.
>
>        I'm 99% certain there is no way you can do this.  You'd have to
>shut down the system, insert the new drive, and boot off of the new drive.
>
>        Since the whole command processor is geared to what it sees at boot
>time, switching that around afterwards would be a real problem.
>
>        Even removable drives like a SyQuest require that it *not* be the
>boot drive if you intend to switch cartridges around while running.

>Randy Whittle    whittle@usc.edu               |       WWW Hope Page:     |
>USC Graduate School of Business (Fight on 'SC!)|          http://         |
> "Did you really think you could call up the   | www-scf.usc.edu/~whittle/|
>     Devil and ask him to behave?"             ----------------------------
>       -Fox Mulder on T.V.'s "X-Files" speaking to an occult practitioner

    ( (   | (               Chris Liljenstolpe <Chris.Liljenstolpe@ssds.com>
     ) ) (|  ), inc.        SSDS, Inc; 8400 Normandale Lake Blvd.  Suite 993
    business driven         Bloomington, MN  55437;
  technology solutions      612.921.2392  FAX 612.921.2395       Um Yah Yah!