Re: thinkpad backup solutions

|> >The one I got cost 110,000 yen, or about US$1,100.
|>
|> Street price in NYC for the Panasonic PD drive is $650 (J&R Computer
|> World) for internal SCSI version.

Tell me about it (although I quoted the price for the external,
the internal one was still a lot more than $650). How much does media
go for? The chepest I've seen it is about 4800 yen ~(US$48) per disk.

Stores in Japan wanted about a million yen ($10,000) for a 755CX with
8/810meg.  My boss had one shipped from The States for about $7k. We had to
buy the Japanese DOS/Windoz extra, but still saved a lot.

But then, I live in a country where a $4 apple and a $5 cup of coffee (no
refills) are the norm. I recently got a juicer, and it takes about three
carrots to make one glass. At my supermarket, carrots are three for $1.48.
Well, at least that makes carrot juice cheaper than beer, which normally
runs about $2.10 a can (in the store).

This all being the case, $10k for a computer seems cheap! :-)

	Jeffrey
Jeffrey Friedl <jfriedl@omron.co.jp> Omron Corp, Nagaokakyo, Kyoto 617 Japan
See my Jap<->Eng dictionary at http://www.wg.omron.co.jp/cgi-bin/j-e
                           and http://enterprise.ic.gc.ca/cgi-bin/j-e