hello all !

   i popped a second ide drive into the dock II ide cable and tried
   to get into the bios setting in order to attach it.  holding down
   the F1 key on boot, i got a menu with a bunch of icons and a
   little flighty bird.

When I added a second IDE drive in my Dock II, it was not necessary to
do anything with the BIOS.  I just set the jumpers on the second disk
to tell it that it's a slave, plug it in, and boot.  It was recognized
right away by all of the operating systems I use.

The only thing I can think of that could have gone wrong for you is
that the jumpers aren't set correctly.

   the documentation did not help.  i tried clicking on HDD-2 and
   it was added to one of the numbered squares, but upon restart,
   it still was not recognized.

The only thing that the numbered squares do is select the boot device
search order.  If you don't plan to boot from your second disk,
there's no need to add it to this list.