linux on thinkpad 755cx

Whew, I finally have linux running halfway decently on
my thinkpad. (description of my long saga coming soon!)

Most things are working fine (network, pcmcia support,
dock ii recognition, X), thanks to the many fine hints
that I have gotten on this list!

I have a problem with the mwave modem, however. I run
linux by booting off a dos floppy which goes through
the 1. ps2 mode3x on; 2. mwgames on 3. mwmodem on
routine before loading linux with loadlin. Everything
is fine here, except that the modem doesn't seem to
work.

cu complains that /dev/modem (linked to /dev/cua1) is
already in use. A look at the usual lock directories
doesn't show anything (/var/spool/locks & /var/spool/uucp).

I am stuck. Am I missing something obvious? Any and all
hints will be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks,
--Sridhar
PS: I also just tried minicom (since cu is supposed to
be buggy and it has the same problem).