Re: Thinkpad 701c/cs DSP?

> Does the 701c/cs have a DSP chip?  I noticed that it does have the sound and
> modem capabilities of the 755ce/cd/cx series, but cannot use the same Mwave
> drivers.  If it doesn't have a DSP chip, what hardware does it have to allow
> for sound and modem functions?

Yes, and no.
Apparently, it does use a DSP (which one, they don't say) for modem and
telephony functions - it can also act as an answering machine, a speakerphone,
etc. (although buying it as such may be kind of silly :) I've heard, by
net.rumor, that the modem cannot be upgraded to 28.8.

The sound functionality appears to be the ESS688 and/or 488 chip(s) - I guess
the Ensoniq Soundscape??? It is NOT provided by the Mwave. IBM's
documentation is, as usual, very good at not telling you any technical
specifics - it sounds like FM synthesis. No word in the docs on the
proper way to enable the SB Pro support for DOS apps. Setting the BLASTER
environment variable seems to be hit-or-miss.

It would have been cool to have Mwave sound and upgradable modem capability -
but I guess that's the next generation (and why IBM is dumping 701's like mad).

Steve

--
Steve Rodrigues            | Lost, yesterday, somewhere between sunrise and
Expatriate Texan           | sunset, two golden hours, each set with sixty