Re: Windows 95 on 750C?

> At 11:45 AM 10/26/95, Lew Jansen wrote:
>
> >        Networking & the Briefcase "object"
>
>         Can you network to "old" Windows for Workgroups?  (i.e., if I put
> Win '95 on one machine and not the other, can they still talk to each
> other?)

You just have to make sure that Win95 uses frame buffer size (i think) as
802.3, or is it 803.2?

>>  Now, this is just why *I* put Win95 on both my systems; it offered some
nice
>>solutions for my specific needs.  If you don't do any networking and are
happy
>>with what you have, I'm not sure there's a strong argument for upgrading now.
>
>         I have a desktop PC and a Macintosh networked together via 10Base-T
> (I also have a 3Com card in my 'Pad).  It runs Windows for Workgroups and
> to connect the Mac, something called "MacLan Connect" (which basically
> makes Windows speak Appletalk for the Mac's built-in networking).  Between
> that and some Windows drivers that speak to a hardware card that
> communicates with my LaserJet 4 to produce 1200 dpi printing, I'm rather
> reticent about upgrading to Win '95.  I don't know if these things will get
> along with the new Windows.

Be careful with the installation, I lost my network drivers during a crucial
part of the installation and had to transfer the files via SneakerNet (c) and I
had to go between rooms every time Win95 asked for a file from the CDROM. I had
to wait for it to ask for it, so I could know what it needed... This happened
about 12-15 times (good exercise :)

I would suggest finding out about your specific drivers from the different
manufacturers.

>>  Also -- I have 24 meg of RAM in my 755cx -- it'd probably be a bit
different
>>if I were at 8 meg or less.  Win95's sweet spot seems to be at around 12 meg.
>
>         I have 12 MB RAM on my 750C--enough, you think?

I'm running on 8 and it is (believe it or not) faster than OS/2 (at least with
Win95 native 32 bit apps).  Don't get me wrong, I'm not content with 8 megs,
but as a grad student, I must cope with it, and Win95 makes life a lot
easier...

I've tried OS/2, Warp, Win3.11, WFWG, Linux and Win95, and I'm pretty happy
with Win95 and Linux dual boot, but then again, that's my personal opinion...

BTW, Where did you get MacLAN Connect?  That is something I've been looking for
for quite some time...

Hope this helps

Art

--
Arturo J. Morales      (RPI '94)   |  art@aars.mit.edu
Department of Biology              | Massachvsetts Institvte of Technology