755C vs 701C Linux installation

This is a posting for a friend who is trying to install Linux on a 701C.
I have installed and been using Linux on a 755C for 4 months now.  A long
distance friend purchased a 701C this week and has been having trouble
installing Linux.  He cannot seem to boot Linux on the 701C from the
boot/root disks.  He gets a kernel panic

   Kernel panic:VFS:Unable to mount root fs on 2:1c

When he told me this, I sent him (via the internet) boot/root disks which
definitely boot on my 755C, but when he tried them he again got the kernel
panic message.

Would anyone know that if it is indeed the case that the 755C and 701C are
different in regards to installing Linux?

Please post or e-mail me or my friend (milicic@math.utah.edu).

Thanks,
  Allen Moy