Re: Correct list for 701c? (fwd)

Jim accidently sent this to me instead of the list:

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Thu, 12 Oct 1995 11:41:53 -8
From: Jim Lee <leejim@PEAK.ORG>
To: "John H. Kim" <jokim@tuna.mit.edu>
Subject: Re: Correct list for 701c?

John H. Kim wrote:
> On Thu, 12 Oct 1995, ucklw08 wrote:
>
> > Why does my machine being a TP750Cs (emphasis on the Cs) create
> > a possible problem?
>
> Dual scans typically keep two copies of the screen in VRAM.  The XFree
> driver under Linux must be able to do this or work around it for your
> screen to work correctly.  i.e. a driver/configuration for a 701c
> will not work on a 701cs.  The 750/755/360 series uses the Western
> Digital 90C24 video chipset, and the XFree drivers for it (supposedly)
> automatically configure for a dual scan.  The 701 uses the Chips &
> Technologies 65545(?).  I'm not certain about dual-scan support with
> the C&T.
>
> So the fact that someone has got XFree running on a 701c does not
> guarantee it'll work on a 701cs.  That's why I said it might give you
> problems.

Hi all,

I'm apparently the person you are referring to as getting X working
on a 701C.  Just to clear up any confusion, I have *both* a 701C and
a 701Cs.  I configured X on the 701C, swapped the hard drives, and it
(X) ran flawlessly on the 701Cs without any changes.  This suggests
that the XFree86 SVGA driver has built-in dual scan support for the
C&T 65545.  I'm not sure about Western Digital support - my only
Western Digital 90Cxx machines ('755CX's) are all active matrix...
Jim Lee				Diamond Quest Consulting
leejim@peak.org			30563 Ridge St
http://www.peak.org/~leejim	Lebanon, OR 97355