Re: Correct list for 701c?

On Thu, 12 Oct 1995, Ken Manheimer wrote:

> resolved, recently.  ?  I'm interested in knowing if anyone on the list
> knows the disposition of linux on 701cs machines - is the install fairly
> straightforward, will it avail all the peripheral resources (IR ports,
> PCMCIA SCSI and ethernet cards, power mgmt, ...) etc?

I was just browsing the linux hardware newsgroup yesterday.  One person
report he had it running just fine on a TP701C - PCMCIA ethernet and SCSI,
built-in modem, and soundblaster emulation all works fine.  Dunno about
power management or IR ports.  He had it running 1024x768x8bit virtual
on the LCD, and 1024x768x8bit on a CRT.  Your machine being a CS might
give you some problems.

> Alternately, i've started considering going with OS/2 warp (OS/2 2.11,
> warp v3 is supposed to come preinstalled).  I've heard OS/2 is a pretty
> capable OS, and a machine here at work has the OS/2 with the tcp/ip stuff
> - part of OS/2 Connect, i presume - which looks like it gives pretty
> complete tcp/ip capabilities - telnet, ftp, NFS, X, etc.

You should think about what programs you're going to use. Linux has a much
lower overhead for stuff like telnet, ftp, emacs, etc.  I looked at the
programs I used under OS/2 and found 95% of my time was in ports of unix
tools, so I switched to Linux. With OS/2 and 12MB on my TP750, running
just the X server and emacs started heavy swapping.  Under Linux it's
*slightly* better (most of the overhead comes from X - without X I can
start emacs several times without swapping, which I couldn't do with OS/2).
John H. Kim        "A common mistake that people make when trying to design
jokim@mit.edu       something completely foolproof is to underestimate the
jokim@tuna.mit.edu  ingenuity of complete fools." -- Douglas Adams