Re: PC insurance (was: Re: TP 760 CD can take two hard dis

On Mon, 9 Oct 1995, Martin P. Smith wrote:

> A word of caution MOST home insurance does NOT cover a portable
> machine when used for work or outside the home.

Yes - State Farm told me that the criteria is "is it used or intended for
use primarily inside the home?" While in my case I could probably contend
that the primary use is for inside the home, I suspect that with any
reasonable amount of outlay they'd argue the issue, given that the
_nature_ of a laptop is to be portable.

Similarly, I discovered that my car insurance won't cover something that
isn't "permanently attached to the car." Meaning that a mounted car phone
(which is infinitly more recognizable as there to be stolen) would be
covered while my handheld unit isn't! Sheesh! So my laptop wouldn't be
covered either.

But as a final note, most insurance companies will sell you a rider
policy for your transportable electronics. Their quote on my cellular
phone worked out to the same as the "no questions asked" $4 a month my
carrier wanted, so I passed on that. I have yet to ask them about my
laptop (living dangerously for the moment...) but I'd suspect it would be
similar to Safeware's price.