170M IDE drive... in another computer

I moved a new Toshiba 540 into my case and offered the IBM 170M drive to
my brother for his Sanyo 18MB. Like a fool, I agree to install it.

It's not working.

The machine has a config screen, I'm punching in the specs on the top of
the IBM drive - 989 cyls, 10 heads, 34 sectors. No go. I'm wondering if
there's some possible difference between the IBM drive and the Connor
CP-2064 that came out of this Sanyo (which is really a relabeled Toshiba
laptop, by the way) The connor has 2 jumpers, the IBM has none.

Does anyone have specs for these two drives or any idea why my problem
might be? I know it's not 100% Pad related, but I know a few people have
removed smaller drives and may have tried to reuse them. (Besides, I
think I'm running in the black on this list as far as contributing
anyways, so I don't feel too bad in asking...)

 Donald Alan Whiteside     MDCC Wage Slave     School of Computer Science
         Official Usenet Dork for the week of Jan 9-13, 1995
      GCS d-- -p+(---) l u+(-) e+ m+ s !n h f g+ w+ t+(++) r- y++
          "The universe is not in the habit of giving up
       explanations to cursory examinations" - Garth Thornton