Re: TP's and heat

** Reply to note from phr@netcom.com 09/08/95  1:34pm -0700

My TP755CE developed a terrible overheating problem about 4
weeks after I got it.  The battery would suddenly get so hot that
you could not touch it, the bottom of the case, or the keyboard.
And I do mean suddenly - the first time it happened, I was
sitting on the couch with the TP in my lap.  It got so hot, so fast
that it nearly burned my leg through the bottom of the case and
two layers of cloth before I could move it.

The first couple of rounds about service just got the battery
replaced as it was assumed the battery had shorted out.  But it
kept happening, and I kept hounding our internal support people
(and pointing out that if it didn't get fixed and caused a fire in
my house or our office, etc., etc.).  To make a long story short, I
have on-site service.  Two IBM techs came out, took it apart and
replaced a number of parts including the DC-DC converter.  Now
it's barely warm regardless of where I leave it sitting or how long
it's on.

BTW, they also had to replace the keyboard because the heat had
warped it and the mouse buttons stopped working.

Jane

cc: tp750@CS.UTK.EDU