Help with Win95 & mwave modem/pcmcia

I recently installed Win95 on my 755CD, and most things
seem to work (reasonably well), except modem functions.

- Trying to use the mwave modem always results in "another
  application is usingthetelephony function"

- My USR Sportster28.8 seems to be recognized by the plug&play
  stuff etc, but applications fail to connect to it to dial out.
  The other strange thing is that the W95 taskbar shows a pcmcia card
  plugged in, but the led on the machine goes out.

I've tried both the above with HyperTerminal (term emulator) and
with "dial up networking" stuff.

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Vaidy Sunderam