win95 DriveSpace (was: Win95 or OS/2?)

At 10:59 AM 9/4/95 +1000, Stuart Allen wrote:
>Be careful if you decide to use the DriveSpace compression in Win95. I'd
>suggest you partition the system separately and *don't* compress the system
>partition... I did this on my TP to get some extra space (and boy did I get
>some extra space) but the speed suffered... I'm waiting to get the release
>version of WIn95, at which time I'll do a full rebuild... it's probably best
>to completely start from scratch when installing Win95 if possible... rather
>than installing over 3.11 or whatever...

I strongly recommend that anyone using DriveSpace also get the Microsoft
Plus Pak.  It includes drivespace3, which gives you a lot more control over
your compression.

It helped my speed a lot, I use standard compression as a default (fast, not
much compression), and have a job scheduled to compress files that haven't
been used in a week with a much tighter compression.

The job runs at night, using the "system agent" (cheesy name, good util)
which also comes with the plus pak.
jesse montrose <jesse@spine.com> http://www.hooked.net/bin/jesse.home
After seven years, I was sent home to my family.  Little man, I give
the watch to you.