Linux and MWAVE modem

There was a flurry of messages about getting some MWAVE functionality
in linux if you load the MWAVE modem and SoundBlaster emulator before
booting linux.  I read some reports of (partial) success, but I don't
think I got a direct answer to the question:

        Has anyone actually got the MWAVE modem to run under Linux?

As I mentioned in my message, I got as far as getting some part of the
software to respond "OK" to my "AT", but when I tried to actually
initialise the modem, I got a "HOST DRIVER TIMEOUT".

Given what little I know about MWAVE, I would be (very pleasantly)
surprised if things *did* work as easily as just turning the darn thing
on before booting.  I go through DOS to initialise my ethernet card
anyway.  However, it is interesting that when mwmodem is turned on,
Linux does indeed see a 16550A UART on COM2, which is where the modem
sits.

Anyway, if someone has got the modem working under Linux, please reply.

Thanks,
Eugene Fiume.