Re: 755C Questions

The question:

>>"....3. Has anyone had any luck geting any games at all to work with IBM's
>>soundblaster DOS emulator, if so which games?

The bogus response from (Michael J. Verne) :-)

	To the games question:  don't count on it.  "SoundBlaster
	compatability" is a relative thing.  While the MWave chipset is
	technologically fantastic, the multimedia world does not
	revolve around fantastic technology.  It revolves around
	Creative Labs.  The best I can tell you (and what IBM will tell
	you) is that what works works & what doesn't doesn't.  Anything
	written to talk register-level to a SB card, like Doom &
	Heretic, won't work on anything but the SB & a few others, like
	Sony, that have it figured out.  I seem to recall some of IBM's
	funky SB drivers were written for Windoze only, so DOS games
	need to be run in a DOS full-screen session, but I don't
	remember if it was MWave.  I don't do much w/multimedia
	anymore.

Its a common mistake, this should be in the FAQ.

The "C" series of think pads, 750C, 750Cs, 755C, 755Cs, ... use a
custom audio chip that is _NOT_ register compatible with the sound
blaster. IBM provides a hack (sbaudio) that trys to work by using
the "virtual" mode of the 486 to trap accesses to the sound blaster
I/O addresses and emulate those accesses in software. This hack
does _NOT_ work on DOOM and any game that uses a "DOS Extender" to
go into 32 bit mode while operating (and more and more of them do
since there are most 386 and above systems out there). IBM provides
windows drivers and they do work for windows applications.

The "CE" series 755CE, etc. Which use the Mwave chip *are* register
compatible with the sound blaster. This is one of its advertised
features. If you have the built in modem (modem connector on the
_back_ of your ThinkPad) then you have an MWave chip. You _can_
run DOOM and games like this, on this chip, because writing to
the soundblaster port addresses does the "right thing" as far
as the MWave is concerned. These machines are more expensive then
there 'C' (non-MWave) cousins.

--Chuck