Re: Glidepoint

>Have any of you used or purchased a Glidepoint by Cirque or Alps?

I bought a Cirque Glidepoint when they first came out last(?) year.
Even though I liked the tap and drag (which the PowerMac trackpads didn't
have), I found myself going back and forth between the TrackPoint and
Glidepoint; usually preferring the TrackPoint for precise or small
movement.

I bought an Alps Glidepoint when they came out and gave away by Cirque.
I wanted the direct mouse port plug instead of Cirque's serial port to
mouse port adapter.  The Alps Glidepoint come in either PS2 or Serial
port and also has a 3rd programmable button.

I couldn't get the Alps Glidepoint to work on my TP360.  After much
troubleshooting, etc. I realized that the pins in the plug from the GP to
the mouse port wasn't actually connecting even though the plug fits into
the port.

I called Alps tech support.  They were not very sympathetic.  They
recommended that I take a razor blade and whittle away at the "excess"
plastic on the plug until it connects properly.  I asked them if they
would be correcting this in the near future or if they would label their
product accordingly (that they will not work with TPs).  They said no
because (get this) the IBM TPs are not a large enough portion of the
laptop market for them to make this change.  He said that I could get the
serial port version as a workaround.  I promptly returned the product.

Lu Lok