installing slackware on 755

   Date: Wed, 28 Jun 1995 16:39:03 -0400
   From: moy <moy@math.rutgers.edu>

   After requesting that I place the root disk into the floopy
   (which I do), I get the error message

     kernel panic: VFS: unable to mount root fs on 02:00

   I have heard there are BIOS and disk geomtries parameters
   specific to the ThinkPad.  I would greatly appreciate any
   advice/help.

You need the additional boot parameter "floppy=thinkpad".  In
slackware 2.2, and presumably more recent releases, it's not necessary
to give disk geometry for a 340 MB disk -- the kernel will figure it
out.

   This may be a FAQ and I apologize if it is.

I'm sure this is an FAQ, but I couldn't find the answer when I went
through this about a month ago -- after poking around several places
on the net and reading between the lines, I decided that the above
parameter might fix the problem.  But nowhere did I see anyone
unequivocally state that it was needed.  So let me say so: you _must_
use "floppy=thinkpad" on a 755C to boot slackware!