installing slackware on 755

This may be a FAQ and I apologize if it is.

I have been trying unsuccesfully to install Linux/Slackware
(from the March 95 InfoMagic 4 CD set) on an IBM ThinkPad 755C
(DX2/50 340M HD 20 RAM).  I am an experience Sun Unix user
but a novice with the PC and Linux.

Following the instructions, I have made boot and root floppies.
When I boot with the boot disk, I get the boot prompt boot:
I then enter the parameter

  boot: mount root=/dev/fd0

After requesting that I place the root disk into the floopy
(which I do), I get the error message

  kernel panic: VFS: unable to mount root fs on 02:00

I should add that on an old 386 Dell laptop, this procedure for
booting Linux works (although I haven't tried to setup things
yet).

I have heard there are BIOS and disk geomtries parameters
specific to the ThinkPad.  I would greatly appreciate any
advice/help.

- Allen Moy