Re: No subject - Slackware 2.3, Linux, TP370

``..Hanno Wagner writes,
` Date: Mon, 26 Jun 1995 19:46:23 +0200 (MET DST)
` From: Hanno Wagner <wagner@bidnix.bid.fh-hannover.de>
`
` i'm trying to install linux on my Thinkpad 370 (remember? 486DC75, 540MB
` HD, 12 MB RAM...
` I wanted to use Slackware, I loaded down the bare-tp from the WWW-Server,

Preferred to use scsi.gz, it had lots more options to enable and of course
to disable (SCSI etc.) A "superset" of bare.gz

` this one should work with the Thinkpad. It works with the Thinkpad, but
` it doesn't work with my Hard Disk Drive. So my question is:

Works with the TP and not with the HD? I think all boot disks won't
recognise the HD unless "told to". See below.

` has there anyone a bootdisk Slackware 2.3 for Thinkpads? Slackware 2.3
` supports Hard Disks with 32 heads (kernel 2.8); but the normal bootdisk
` can't manage the disk change.

Anyways, you need to type these at the boot: prompt,

	boot: ramdisk hd=xxx,yy,zz floppy=thinkpad

where xxx = # HD cylinders, yy = # of HD heads & zz = # sectors/track
I'm not sure of the 540Mb HD but if you're using Windows, try msd.exe
and look at the Disk Drives option.  Read only the CMOS Fixed Disk Parameters
for drive C: Ignore the rest. You can confirm the HD parameters with anyone
on the list with a 540Mb HD running Linux.

` Or is it enough, to partition the drive, and how can I save the files
` which are currently on the drive?

Cheers.
  kevin cheong  mlp program  iss nus