Hayes 28.8 PCMCIA modem

I promised the group some input once I had a chance to play with
my new Hayes 28.8 PCMCIA modem.  Included below is an excerpt
from comp.sys.laptops which relates some of my trials and
tribulations.  I apologise if some of you have already seen it.

> I am thinking of getting a pcmcia modem and can get a reasonable deal on
> the hayes optima 28.8. I have a thinkpad 755ce.  Has anyone tried this
> combination what successes or probems does anyone anticipate?

Well, I can come close.  I use this same modem with a TP360C running
OS/2 Warp.  The IBM-supplied card and socket services software will
recognize the modem with no trouble, so modem setup is pretty much
limited to plugging it in.  I did, however, have to make a couple of
software tweaks in order to achieve higher throughput than what is
attainable with a 14.4 modem.  Specifically, the OS/2 comm port
drivers (COM.SYS and VCOM.SYS) had to be replaced with Gwinn's SIO
drivers in order to achieve a DTE > 57,600.  Also, HyperAccess Lite
refused to initialize this modem at all, and was therefore sent down
the road in favor of VOC.  Finally, modem initialization strings will
be hard to track down for what is a relatively new model.  I've found
that the factory stored profile #0 works just fine for all software
packages I've tried (Warp's IAK, ZOC, FaxWorks, etc.); therefore, the
only initialization string you really need is ATZ0.

I'd say go for it.  The only real complaint I have with this product
is the lack of decent documentation.  Hayes doesn't even supply a list
of AT commands in the so called "manual".  You will want to call the
Hayes BBS and download their technical reference manual for the Optima
line, file name TRM288.TXT if I recall correctly.  Good luck...

--
Karl E. Yeanoplos
Denver, CO

I'd also like to add a little about data transfer rates.  My old
Megahertz 14.4 would max out at about 1600 cps on binary downloads.
The best I've been able to achieve so far with the Hayes is about
2600 cps.  Hopefully this will improve with further tweaking.

  - key