replacement drives (was Re: does anyone have list price of...)

I really hate to extend this thread, but this is relevant to newcomers
thinking of upgrading their drives by buying bare drives and installing
them in the plastic cases from their old drives.

>done this with smaller drives. Of course you are losing the guarantee, but
>if you don't care about guarantees, this is a pefectly reasonable approach.

When I did this with my 540Meg drive, the IBM bare drive was $500 and the
thinkpad drive was $1500.  Thus, by buying the bare drive, I was gambling
that the drive would not fail completely more than 3 times in the warranty
period.  By the way, it hasn't failed yet, so I'm probably ok.:)  My advice
is to wait for the bare drive to become available.  It shouldn't be long.

Victor Kress
Geophysical Laboratory
5251 Broad Branch Road N.W.
Washington, D.C. 20015-1305