Re: ThinkPad/Solaris

"Fix your own bugs or have someone else fix them for you. Linux is great
if you can either fix any bug you encounter, or have someone who can.
A commercial OS (doesn't have to be solaris) is better when you can't
maintain it yourself."

whether software is supported or not has nothing to do with it being
proprietary (which is what I assume you meant when you said commercial,
the two terms are unrelated).

There is proprietary software for which you can get no support

There is free software for which you can get commercial support (Linux
is among these, if you want commercial support for Linux, you can buy
it from at least one company, and you will, I would guess get FAR better
support that Sun will give you on Solaris, what's the last time that
Sun emailed you a fix in rapid response to a reported bug in Solaris?)

In brief, the sentiment of the quoted paragraph here is  typical of the
propaganda output by people selling proprietary software, don't be foooled
by it!.

You shoudl know that I am president of a company (Ada Core Technologies)
that provides commercial support for free software (GNAT, the Ada 95
version of the GCC compiler), so I am certainly not a disinterested
party!

Robert Dewar
ACT