Re: ThinkPad/Solaris

On Jun 21,  9:18am, <Dunaway_Wesley/furman@furman.edu> wrote:
} In any event, I recently put Linux on a desktop machine and am quite
} impressed with it.  I might eventually get around to putting it on my
} ThinkPad, but that's going to be a lot more work what with my PCMCIA
} modem and 3Com Ethernet card.

I don't have either card, but I believe Linux supports both classes of
card, directly in the kernel and as loadable modules.  My NE2000 clone
simply worked on my 755CE without my having to think about it.  My OS/2
install went much less cleanly, and after installing Linux it has not been
used.

I should say that you should get a kernel later than 1.2.7 (I just
installed 1.2.10), because some performance problems with my ethernet
card disappeared after around 1.2.8.  Now I'm getting in excess of
5Mb/sec on thinwire but only about half that on twisted pair (dunno
why--I don't know the technology).

Regards,
Eugene Fiume.