Re: does anyone have list price of 1.2 gig drive handy?

"        Robert, does this or does this not tell you something?  Quantity
discounts aside, this should tell you that IBM can sell these things at
a *lot* lower price and still make money.  Now I don't expect the
consumer to get OEM prices, but paying well in excess of 2x as much
as the OEM does is a pretty nifty trick."

A factor of 2 is normal in OEM deals, the disks that you think are such
good buys at $400 probably cost Gateway 2000 half that amount. That
kind of markup is normal, remember it includes a substantial markup
for the dealer as well as the cost of doing bsuiness on an individual
unit basis instead of a much more desirable OEM deal.

Note that you are looking at *list* prices here, a dealer that charges you
list is making a good profit, never mind IBM. If my regular reseller
could get one, I could get it well under list, but unfortunately there
just aren't *anY* of these 1.2 gig disks in the regular channels, they
are DRY!
zdp