Re: Windows '95

On Fri, 9 Jun 1995 10:30:23 +0100 Robb Masters wrote:

>This isn't very tp related, but it may interest those to users who use
>Win '95. I've make no claim as to the accuracy of the reports, I'm just
>passing on other people's comments.
>
>In article 802247272snz@swarb.demon.co.uk, David Swarbrick ><david@swarb.demon.co.uk> writes:
>>
>>Microsoft officials confirm that beta versions of Windows 95 include a
>>small viral routine called Registration Wizard.  It interrogates every
>>system on a network gathering intelligence on what software is being run
>>on which machine.  It then creates a complete listing of both Microsoft's
>>and competitors' products by machine, which it reports to Microsoft when
>>customers sign up for Microsoft's Network Services, due for launch later
>>this year.

I believe Microsoft this as:  (1) it will only interrogate the machine
Windows 95 is installed on, not the entire network.  (2) It will only
send the information to Microsoft if you check off a clearly labeled
option to do so.

I don't think we've heard the end of this yet.
| | John H. Kim          "Just try telling the IRS you don't feel like    |
| | jokim@mit.edu        'contributing' this year come April" - Bob Dole  |
| | jokim@uni.uiuc.edu   on Bill Clinton's avoidance of the word "taxes." |