No dialtone

So, I'm in Grenoble now on my sabbatical and I'm happily hooked into my
new network, etc.  I have a small problem with dialup, however.

The only modem I'm using is the MWAVE modem, so it might be peculiar to
that situation.  I am connecting to the French telephone system through an
adapter that takes me from the French telephone plug to the North American
(RJ-whatever) plug.  I use Windows for dial in sessions.

The problem is this: when I try to dial using the modem (ATD in
terminal, or "dial" in kermit), I get the response "no dial tone".
However, if I first open the line (AT H1 in Hayes parlance), and then
do an ATD..., I am able to dial out and connect just fine, using either
pulse or tone dialing.

So, as it stands, I must manually open the line and then dial.  I really
don't think I should need the first bit.  I think I can work around this
by inserting an ATH1 followed by a pause, and then the dialing sequence,
but I haven't been able to try this yet.

I tried changing the "country code" in the ThinkPad MWAVE group, but
it complained that I was using the wrong connector for European telephony
(France, however, is not in the country code list for some reason).

Has anyone experienced similar, admittedly minor, problems taking a
ThinkPad with North American telephony abroad?

Regards,
Eugene Fiume.