Newbie alert - price/upgrade advice

> Please introduce yourself!  Tell us what kind of machine you have,
> how it's configured (how much memory/disk, what accessories, etc.),
> and what operating system(s) you are using.  (send this to the LIST
> address -- don't just reply to this message!)

Um, I haven't got one. Basically I've been looking for a notepad to run
Linux on to use as a mobile WWW server / browser for demos, and the
odd think pad has cropped up for sale.

Currently I'm toying with buying a s/h 750Cs 20MB RAM 200MB (170MB
surely) HD for 1000 pounds sterling. Anyone want to comment if that's
a good price or not? I really want the RAM but I'd probably get a
bigger HD.

Originally I was offered a 50Mhz machine (I forget which one) and an MCA
one (no good to me) and I'm a bit concerned about the speed of the 750.
I had a wade through the archives but couldn't see a definitive answer to
"Can I upgrade the CPU or make it go faster some other way?" If anyone
could help I'd appreciate it.

As for me, I'm a System and S/W Engineer for BT, in London, UK. I'm not
that knowledgeable on PCs esp. portables as a) that's hardware b) that's
not primarily Unix hardware.

Cheers,

Robb

Robb Masters        | Systems & Software Engineer
BT D&P SSI BSEC CEC | CEC home page (BT only) - http://www.lssec.bt.co.uk:8080/