Re: Warp & APM (was SVGA Win-OS/2 under Warp)

>On a different but related subject, I too was in contact with both the
>mobiles group and the OS/2 group today about problems with APM functions
>under Warp.  I couldn't even get anyone very interested in these problems
>which were first reported in November of 1994, let alone assurance that a
>fix would eventually be provided.  In fact, the only suggestion they could
>offer was to upgrade to a newer machine which uses the MWave chip and
>therefore also uses a newer, different BIOS than that which is used in
>the TP355, 360, and 750 series machines (!).
>
>I would expect this type of reply from one of the second-tier manufacturers,
>but coming from IBM, this really surprises me.  I don't want to do as
>Scott has done and dump OS/2 in favor of Windows, but these features ought
>to work as advertised, dammit!  The APAR which was generated to deal with
>these problems in 11/94 (#15544) has now been closed out without any type of
>forthcoming fix...good work, IBM!

Exactly what problems are you refering to?  I use suspend and hibernation
all the time on my 750 with no probs.  Perhaps this is a 3xx specific
problem.  I never use the password, but I thought that that problem was
fixed several thinkpad disks back.  I have only two nits, which some might
call problems.  I used to hibernate at least every day, but recently I've
taken to leaving the battery out of the machine and taking the power brick
home instead in order to save my battery.  The machine will not let you
hibernate without the battery in place (unless you booted with the battery
in place!).  This means I have to boot at least once a day, or pop in the
battery.  Another bother is that I have to reinitialize my PCMCIA cards
(pop them out and back in) after hibernation.  Everything works afterwards.
This is in contrast to Windows, where hibernation with TCPIP software
installed led to a lockup of biblical proportions on wakeup.  My guess is
that the problem is fixed, and the person you talked to at IBM is
(typically) clueless.

Victor Kress
Geophysical Laboratory
5251 Broad Branch Road N.W.