RE: Windows 95

Item Subject: Message text
> I am running a TP750Ce with a Dock-1
I don't know much about the Dock-1 (except that it
seems to cause people lots of driver problems when
they try to get it to work.)

> I just installed Windows 95 (final beta release)
from scratch (that is, I
> did a DELTREE on my WINDOWS directory).
Okay.

> > I did the following:
>
> 1) installed Windows 95 from CD-ROM taking all the
defaults

> At this point, Everything kinda worked, except my
PCMCIA slots, sound, and
> COM port.
The PCMCIA slots didn't work because you have to use
the PC Card wizard to set them up after the initial
install (protects you if you had real-mode drivers
running before.)  The sound didn't work because Win95
doesn't have native drivers for it.  I don't know why
the COM port didn't work.  I know mine is listed in
the hardware list, but I've not actually tried using
it to see if it works (just assumed that it would).

> 2) I installed the Audio Features from the Audio
Features Diskette v 1.31

> It didn't work at first, so I editted SYSTEM.INI and
put the following in
> [386enh] section:
>
> device=tpaudvxd.386
>
> All the other sections in SYSTEM.INI were set up OK,
and all the files were
> copied to the right place.  Just the [386enh]
section was wrong.
Yep.  That's just what I did.

> 3) I "Added new Hardware", and told it I had a
COMMUNICATION port.

> It didn't believe me at first, so I editted
SYSTEM.INI and put the following
> in [386enh] section:
>
> ;device=*vcd
> device=ibmvcd.386
>
> Note that I commented out the device=*.vcd
> I copied ibmvcd.386 from the IBM Utility Disk 2 (of
2) release 2.00 to
> \WINDOWS\SYSTEM
>
> it works.

Okay.

> 4) I went into control panel, PCMCIA, and told it
that it was supposed to be
> on when docked.
Okay.

> I do not remember the exact steps... I hacked at it
until it worked...

> So the question is... Did I miss anything?
Don't think so.  You didn't mention video, though.  To
use the Win95 Western Digital driver at any resolution
higher than 640x480x16, the VESA.EXE driver from the
Video Features disk must be loaded in config.sys.  I'm
assuming that the 750 and the 750Ce have the same
video specs (I'm pretty sure they do.)

Wesley Dunaway