Warp & Thinkpad (was ADMIN: etc)

> I use C-Kermit for a terminal emulator (free, and supports every host
> in the universe), FaxWorks Pro 2.0 for faxing ($115 from Indelible
> Blue, pretty full-featured by my limited experience), and IBM TCP/IP
> 2.0 for networking.  I don't have a good backup system right now --
> I'm using zip to back up important files to an NFS server on my net.
> I've recently purchased a Dock II, and I plan to hook up my Archive
> SCSI tape drive and then try out gtak/gtar.  If that turns out to be
> unworkable, I understand that the latest version of BackMaster is
> pretty good.

I picked up a shareware package off of ftp-os2.cdrom.com called "zoc".
It's great! I was using WinComm for communications. ZOC is better.
I have other comments on Delrina, but why should I waste time
complaining about their software.

I have FaxWorks (lite?) from the Bonus CD. I will have to work with it
some more. There was a review of backup solutions in OS/2 Prof last
month. I think that a full backup package is something that I want for
the future. Until then, tar will have to do.

> TCP/IP is by no means $500, although maybe you need some of the exotic
> kits that will raise the price.  I've found that I need exactly three
> kits to make the networking useful: the base kit ($169 from Indelible
> Blue), the X server kit ($140), and the NFS kit ($100).  That's about
> $400.

IBM sells the base kit with X and NFS for $500. ElecTek has the base kit
for $130 (or about). I agree with your assessment of the useful kits.
I will check next week on the DevCon stuff and then...?

> Tim Sipples has pointed out that the functionality of the base kit can
> be purchased for about $60 if you have warp -- there's a Lan Server
> client that includes a full TCP/IP stack, which can then be combined
> with the apps from the Warp bonus pack to get something equivalent to
> the base kit.  I'm sorry I forget the details, but if you ask Tim I'm
> sure he'd be happy to fill you in (tsipple@vnet.ibm.com).  This then
> brings the cost down to $300.  If you don't need NFS then it's $200.

I will mail Tim a note.

> BTW, if you think you need the X client kit, you're probably mistaken.
> It contains no interesting clients (possible exception: xrdb) and is
> primarily a developer's toolkit for building clients.

I agree with this. Too bad too. I could sell OS/2 at work if you could
export Windows sessions to X servers!

--
Scott A. Stratmoen | strat@ast.dsd.northrop.com