Re: (Weird) mysterious ThinkPad noises

-- [ From: Wesley T. Dunaway * EMC.Ver #2.10P ] --

>>From: <Dunaway_Wesley/furman@furman.edu>
>>A very strange thing happened today.  Has anyone else had
>>this happen to them?
>> About
>>2pm today I notice a noisy grinding sound coming from the
>>computer.  Further investigation reveals that it's coming
>>from the hard drive.
>> About 9pm the sound
>>stops.  Now the hard drive makes the same old whine it used
>>to.  What gives?
>
>This is weird. Almost exactly the same happened to me at the same
moment!
>I have a Thinkpad 720C and yesterday in the evening (must be early
afternoon
>in the US) the HD 170 MB began to make a noise like a coffeegrinder. I
>turned the computer off and on and off and on and the noise stayed. So
with
>haste I began to make a backup of the whole disk (PCTools Backup,
costs me
>67 diskettes). All the time the noise was there, very annoying. Then I
>turned the computer off.
>Late at night, just before I wanted to go to bed, I turned it on. The
noise
>was gone. I worked on it today for three hours now - no noise.
>So I repeat your question: what gives?
>

>- Rob

This certainly is weird.  I expected that maybe someone had experienced
something similar.  I didn't expect that they would have experienced it
at *exactly the same time* that I did.  In any event, I called the
Psychic Hotline today.  The nice lady there told me that because of the
Aquarian alignment of the Zoroastrian sun, and the gravitational pull
of the Comet Europa, a Submusculaneous Alignment took place between
Greenville, South Carolina, USA, and a certain town in the Netherlands.
This alignment of the stars occurs only once every 100,000 years.  She
said that our computers must now contact one another physically to
restore the bond established by the alignment and that, when it happens,
a mystical force will envelope their owners, causing a fully
enlightened condition of Bushido.  What this means, Rob, is that you
must send your TP 720 to me.  I will perform the contact and you will
have Bushido enlightenment.  :->

But seriously, I'm sure coincidences happen, but this is really
strange.  Has anyone at all had an experience like this?  I honestly
can't think of a good explanation.  Can someone address hard drive
noises in general?  Maybe dust or something got into the motor and
started the grinding noise.  Strange, strange, strange. . .

Wesley Dunaway (dunaway@s9000.furman.edu)