Socketed 755 CPU's (was: Socketed 750 CPU's)

In message Thu, 8 Dec 94 18:16:02 PST,
  george@cs.nps.navy.mil (Robert George)  writes:

> Sorry, misprint.  I _had_ a 750C, but I replaced it with a 755C.  The 755C

Well, that certainly explains all this misunderstanding.

> has either a DX4-50 or a DX4-75.  I purchased the DX4-75 which were rare
> at the time.  I was originally approached by IBM to purchase the DX4-50
> laptop, and they would just replace the chip with a DX4-75.

Speaking of which, what's the current street price for DX4/75's, and what's
IBM's price for the upgrade?  When the TP755 was first introduced, I was
quoted something ridiculous like $1300.

> This implied to me that the chip is socketed, and that the motherboard
> somehow autosenses which chip is socketed.  One of the selling points of

Not to open another can of worms :-), but I don't think the motherboard has
to autosense the chip.  The DX2/50 and DX4/75 both run at a bus speed of
25MHz so they look identical to the motherboard.
| | John H. Kim    "None of what you are seeing is actually happening." |
| | jokim@mit.edu        - disclaimer for TV movie 'Without Warning'    |
| | jokim@uni.uiuc.edu     jokim@tuna.mit.edu does not work (yet)       |