Re: Hard drive cases/connectors

> >Sounds like beginnings of a plan to me.  :-)  Do you know someone that can
> >manufacture this stuff?
>
> How about the Thinkpad User's Group Company (THUGCO).
>
> Only half jokingly, the collective knowledge of this group on issues of TP
> accessories/compatibility/user-needs probably far outstrips that of any OEM
> firm (though IBM itself still probably has us beat :-)).  If some of you
> energetic young bizness types (Randy, you listening?) were to put do a

	Intently.

> little research into the mechanics and economics of commissioning offshore
> manufacturing runs, establishing distribution channels, venture finance,
> etc. etc., I'll bet we could put together a commercially-viable cottage
> production entity that could easily undercut IBM and the OEM suppliers on
> things like drive units, memory packages, batteries, expansion units.

	I didn't envision quite this wide of expansion, but I suggested
something like this a week ago--targeting major notebook mfgrs. (IBM and
Toshiba came to mind) and providing parts for them (i.e., cheaper batteries
came to mind).

> Myself I wouldn't care if such a thing were wildly profitable or not but it
> would be fun and, dammit, where the hell else am I gonna get a port
> replicator with built-in SCSI?

	While I identify with you sentiments here, you have to remember
one *very* important thing:  What is the real goal?

	I don't know if any of you have read a book called "The Goal" by
Eli Goldratt (and I doubt you have--it is very popular, but mostly only
among manufacturing types), but it discusses these issues.  If you have not,
and you enjoy a good story that teaches important business concepts, I
*highly* recommend it.  It sounds like a boring textbook case, but its not--
it is written in novel form and it is an enjoyable and intriguing story,
not unlike a good mystery or science fiction novel.

	At any rate, the story goes that this guy has run a manufacturing
plant for 6 months and finds out that unless he can turn it around, it
will be closed in 3 months--leaving he and everyone out of a job.

	The key motivator in the book is one chapter where the main
character runs across a former instructor from Engineering school.  The
instructor determines the plant is in trouble before the main character
even knows it, and then suggests that his eye is not on the goal, and since
he doesn't know what his goal is, he cannot run his plant effectively.

	After torturing himself over figuring out what the real goal is
(is it Jobs?  Quality?  Low-Cost purchasing?  Highly-developed Technology?
So-called "efficiency"?  Sales/Market Share?), he finally figures it
out.

	Guess what?  The plant wasn't built to provide jobs.  It wasn't
built to make high-quality products.  It wasn't built to maximize sales
or efficiciencies.  And it wasn't built to show off technological feats.

	The goal is *always* the same for any business--and the goal is
to make money.  Everything--and I mean *everything* else--is just a means
to achieving that goal.

	So Tim, I would have to disagree--the venture would *have* to be
profitable to be worth anyone's time.  It would be an awfully expensive
hobby if you, I, or anyone merely considered it "fun".  Fun is good too,
but it shouldn't be the main objective.

	Nevertheless--if those on the group are serious about this--and
I mean *serious*--I will *consider* writing a business plan--a complete
womb-to-tomb business plan covering every area from Management & Organization
to Cash Flows to Marketing to Operations--IF those with additional
expertise in the areas you mentioned above (offshore manufacturing runs,
establishing distribution channels, venture finance, etc.) are willing to
work with me in providing the information necessary.

	Its a *huge* project, but through outsourcing and contracting, it
could reasonably be done on an entreprenuerial level.  The key here is it
*does* tap into a niche market that is ignored by the "big boys" and
niches are what gives the entrepreneur a fighting chance.  Frankly, it is
a *tremendous* opportunity here, and one which I am *very* interested in.

	You see, I am the entrepreneurial type looking for opportunities,
but seldom are those opportunities in the high-tech arena that is so near
and dear to my heart (unless you are fabulously wealthy and an ingenious
engineer--which I am neither.  I'm technically inclined, but no expert).
Computers and technology in general are my first love.  I'd like nothing
more than to have it be my life's work in some way or another.

> Perhaps I'm naive about the realities of the rough-and-tumble hardware
> industry to think such a thing possible but there are good precedents in
> other sectors.  In the late 70's a group of climbing enthusiasts in
> Vancouver became frustrated with the overpriced, technically-outmoded

> The point is that a small group of enthusiasts *can* move a market if they
> have a bit of technical expertise, a lot of unmet needs, and an entrenched
> supplier community that is fat, slow-moving, and greedy.  Any of this sound
> familiar?

	You show a good example of a taking advantage of an unmet need in
a niche market.  This is what works.  If you had said, "Let's build our own
x86 notebook computer!" I'd have laughed in your face--that corridor has
pretty much closed and we'd have little or no real competetive advantage
over virtually any other cheapo mfgr.

	But this idea of THUGCO--such a concept would be all alone in
its niche (until the copycats come along) and is destined to succeed, as
long as it is properly backed financially and properly planned, marketed,
and managed.  Screw up on any of those things and you'll find yourself out
of business.

	So I ask you all collectively--are you the least bit serious about
this?  Even if the money's not available--I guarantee you that if the
Business Plan is feasible--and the whole concept is as good as I think it
is--V.C.'s (Venture Capitalists) *will* put up the money to do it.

	E-mail the list for more discussion, but if you have real specifics,
it may be best to E-Mail me privately.  I am curious how many people are
willing to get involved--there is no way I have the experience or expertise
to handle the more technical areas and no way I could do it alone.  Consider
this a "feeler" invitation--I want to know what you all think.

> So, any thoughts on this fantasy?  Bring me back to earth, someone, PLEASE!

	I don't know if I did or not, but consider this a nudge.  ;)

> Tim Vetter
> Frankfurt
>
> vetter@hookup.net
> uwe@odb.rhein-main.de

Randy Whittle    whittle@chaph.usc.edu         |  Some guy hit my fender the  |
USC School of Business (Fight on, 'SC Trojans!)|other day, and I said unto him|
  (My opinions are mine, but since I'm         |  "Be fruitful and multiply." |
    right, they should be yours too.)          |   --but not in those words.  |