Re: Why no third party solutions?

>In message Thu, 20 Oct 94 01:16:29 BST, <DGJ@mfltd.co.uk>  writes:
>
>> of fiddly bits breaking off. I know of many people who have had the
>> little catches break on the lid so that the LCD doesn't click shut and
>
>Hmm, how old are these TPs?  I hadn't noticed but after I got the screen on
>my TP replaced, the catches on the lid are metal.  If they fall off, it's a
>design flaw so IBM should fix it for free.
  I have to assume since he said "on the lid" he means the actual slots, but
the catches. And that would suprise me - those catches are pretty short,
limiting the amount of shearing force you could get on one. I can plant my
thumb on in and shove without feeling any give.

>> lets face it - those little switches on the side are a pain the way they
>> catch seperately on the LCD and the keyboard. These are a very weak link
>> and they have a nasty tendancy to discard their springs. Surely they
>> could have come up with more rugged seperate catches. The Toshiba laptops
>> for instance are very solidly built.
  I wasn't thrilled with them at first, but I've now come to the conclusion
that it's not a bad idea. I was worried about keyboard flex, but haven't had
a problem. I'll admit that where the keyboard itself latches seems a little
flimsy, but I haven't have any problem with it. The screen I open about 10
times a day and have done so since I got it 5 months ago. No problem with the
latches yet.

Donald Alan Whiteside			School of Computer Science
Eternal Student				Florida International University
    GCS d-- -p+(---) l u+(-) e+ m+ s !n h f g+ w+ t+(++) r- y++
      I am NSA of Borg: your private key will be assimilated.