Re: Why no third party solutions?

>I'm surprised at many of the comments I've read on this forum about the build
>quality of the Thinkpads. Sure, they have an intelligent modular design but
>this very "pieced together" architecture runs the risk of lots of fiddly bits

In particular, I would cite the following as points to improve:

  - the stupid PCMCIA port covers (this is the WORST design I've seen)
  - the port cover (a bit shaky)
  - the legs to tilt your machine with (a bit shaky)
  - the strange outer material which seems to attract all sorts of nasty
    materials
  - the screen always gets the "trackpoint smudge"

Add the following:

  - wrist-rest (everyone else has one, how hard can it be?)
  - SCSI port instead of the ludicrously priced dock II

>seperate catches. The Toshiba laptops for instance are very solidly built.

Yes, Toshiba notebooks are nicely built.  And they are finely getting
the clue that no one likes the side-mounted trackballs!

---
Sean Chou / schou@uiuc.edu / CompuServe 73672,2111