Re: Why no third party solutions?

In message Thu, 20 Oct 94 01:16:29 BST, <DGJ@mfltd.co.uk>  writes:

> of fiddly bits breaking off. I know of many people who have had the
> little catches break on the lid so that the LCD doesn't click shut and

Hmm, how old are these TPs?  I hadn't noticed but after I got the screen on
my TP replaced, the catches on the lid are metal.  If they fall off, it's a
design flaw so IBM should fix it for free.

> lets face it - those little switches on the side are a pain the way they
> catch seperately on the LCD and the keyboard. These are a very weak link
> and they have a nasty tendancy to discard their springs. Surely they
> could have come up with more rugged seperate catches. The Toshiba laptops
> for instance are very solidly built.

The Toshiba screen latch feels better than the TP, but a lot of the other
components suck.  Have you seen any Toshiba that's been through a couple
years of moderate use?  The covers for the battery pack and ports won't snap
on, the screen latches loosens, the white color shows all the accumulated
dirt :-), etc.
John H. Kim   jokim@mit.edu   jokim@uni.uiuc.edu   This message sent by NUPop
Cartoon by Mike Luckovich:
Briefer: "Intelligence reports North Korea's new leader is erratic, overweight
          and has a big hairdo.  He wasn't in the military which may lessen
          his sway with the armed forces.  He's obsessed with women ..."
Clinton: "Lemme guess.  He also plays the saxophone ..."